Lumwana Mining Company seeks to recruit a highly committed employee for the position of Projects Geotechnical Engineer to join the versatile Mineral Resource Management team.
To support the Geotechnical Superintendent on geotechnical logging, rock and soil sampling and geotechnical drilling QAQC. Provide a leadership role to the logging Geotechnical Engineers. Your duties will include but are not limited to the following:
- Carry out all work in compliance to relevant procedures and Zambian regulatory requirements,
- Supervise geotechnical investigation drilling and ensure quality core is recovered with good quality orientation markings.
- Ensure drilling sites are prepared in advance and all requirements for each drill site are in place.
- Carry out lithological and structural logging of geological and geotechnical exploration holes on the drilling site or in the core shed.
- Ensure the core is properly secured and transported to the core shed for storage or further processing
- Carry out point load testing on selected core pieces as directed by the Senior Geotechnical Engineer.
- Ensure that core samples for rock strength testing are selected and well parked in readiness for shipping to the Labs for testing.
- Ensure the logging data is accurately entered into the database.
- Continually improve their geotechnical skills by way of working through the geotechnical skills matrix and seeking guidance and mentorship from the Senior Geotechnical Engineer.
- Carryout rock mass characterisation from the logging data.
- Structural data interpretation using Dips software.
- Ensure geotechnical logging tools are well maintained.
- Provide mentorship to the junior geotechnical logging engineers.
- Ensure effective communication with delegate prior to departure from site.
To be considered for the position, you must meet the following requirements:
- BSc in Mining Engineering/Geology.
- Member of the Engineering Institute of Zambia.
- Experience (4 years) in the Mining industry.
- Experience with geology/geotechnical logging.
- Able to clearly demonstrate the aptitude to drive a light vehicle and hold a current Zambian driver’s licence or be able to obtain one.
- Be physically fit and be able to pass a pre-employment medical examination.
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
- Proven ability to deliver results and act as a change agent.
- Demonstrated application of continuous improvement ideas.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.barrick.com.