The USAID-funded Tanzania Maji na Usafi wa Mazingira Activity (MUM) activity in Tanzania, implemented by Tetra Tech International Development (www.tetratech.com/intdev), is currently accepting expressions of interest for a Project Accountant. This position will be located in the office in Iringa, Tanzania.
The Tanzania Maji na Usafi wa Mazingira Activity (MUM) is a five-year (August 2021 – July 2026) $25 million activity funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Mission to Tanzania. The purpose of the activity is to expand and sustain the provision and governance of WASH services by (1) increasing access to sustainable water services; (2) increasing access to finance for water, sanitation, and hygiene; (3) strengthening the market for sanitation products and services; and (4) strengthening basin water boards and water user associations for stewardship of water resources. Tetra Tech is the prime contractor with three subcontractors, FSG, WISE Futures, and IRIS Group.
Under the supervision of the Senior Accountant, the Accountant will be an integral part of an administration and finance support team.
- Assist with financial accounts and preparing financial statements for submission to the home office as part of monthly financial reports.
- Assist with reviewing petty cash records/entries and verifying cash counts and monthly reconciliations.
- Responsible for keeping up to date financial records and ensuring that documents/ reports/guidelines/Audit files are stored in an appropriate manner.
- Responsible for proper processing of vendor invoices, travel advances and expense reports.
- Assist with preparation of monthly payroll and ensuring timely processing of statutory payments such as PAYE, Social Security Contributions and Vendor Withholding Tax.
- Assist with preparation of VAT reimbursement claims and obtaining all supporting documentation.
- Responsible for generating Salesforce disbursement vouchers and assisting timely recording of transactions in QuickBooks and generating periodic/monthly standard reports.
- Initiate online bank payment after the supporting documents have been reviewed and approved for payment.
- Assist with monitoring vendor advances and other receivables and ensure timely clearance of vendor outstanding items, taking corrective follow-up actions where required.
- Prepare cash receipts and ensuring are properly per project filing policy.
- Assist in the preparation of budgets, accounting and financial reports, funds requests, statistical and other reports as required.
- Assist with all bookkeeping, bank accounts and cash flow to ensure sufficient funds are available for effective and efficient implementation.
- Perform other duties assigned by the DCOP and DAF and Senior Accountant.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent and 3 years in relevant field or 8 years’ experience in relevant work.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in an equivalent position, experience using QuickBooks accounting software preferred. Experience working in a similar position with NGO, business or international organizations is required.
- Excellent interpersonal skills (verbal and written), including patience, diplomacy, willingness to listen and respect for colleagues. Must be capable of working both individually and as part of a team. Must also be able to create a supportive working relationship among all project teams.
- Working knowledge of English, both written and spoken. Able to communicate fluently and effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Tactfulness and enthusiasm for the job. Good Human Relation skills, integrity and ability to work under pressure.
- Tanzanian citizen.
- Willingness to work/live in Iringa, Tanzania.
How to apply
To be considered applicants must submit the following as part of the on-line process:
- Cover Letter
- CV in reverse chronological format
Please indicate where you saw Tetra Tech’s IDS ad posted.
Apply on-line at: https://bit.ly/AccountantMUM
Applications that do not meet the minimum requirements listed above will not be considered. Please ensure that all necessary documents are uploaded, as incomplete applications and/or corrupt files may delay processing of your application or remove you from consideration. No phone calls will be accepted.
At Tetra Tech, health and safety play a vital role in our success. Tetra Tech’s employees work together to comply with all applicable health & safety practices and protocols, including health orders and regulations related to COVID-19 that are mandated by local, state, and federal authorities.
Tetra Tech is a leading provider of consulting, engineering, and technical services worldwide. Our reputation rests on the technical expertise and dedication of our employees – 21,000 people working together across disciplines and time zones to provide smart, sustainable solutions for challenging projects. We are proud to be home to leading technical experts in water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development. Tetra Tech combines the resources of a global, multibillion-dollar company with local, client-focused delivery in over 450 locations around the world. We offer competitive compensation and benefits and are searching for innovative people to join our teams. We are an equal opportunity employer: EOE AA/M/F/Vets/Disability.